Student or recent graduate in Elementary Education, Art Education, Art History, Studio Art or a similar area of study will conduct classroom observations in schools within the San Diego Unified School District, as part of the Museum’s ART OF THE PEOPLE – Student Outreach Program. Observations will take place in 3rd-grade classrooms.
The student will observe 8-10 outreach lessons and 1 museum tour (dates to be determined with project manager) throughout the semester and evaluate the efficacy of the program in a written report that includes but is not limited to the following deliverable metrics:
- Student and classroom teacher engagement
- Level of student enthusiasm
- Facility with and success of projects
- Connection of art project to cultural context material
- Connections established with grade-level standards
- Enrichment and expansion of student understanding of and appreciation for world cultures
- Realizes an educational opportunity school could not achieve alone
- Observation of what is done with completed art projects
- Degree of lesson relevancy to students’ lives
- Evidence of classroom teacher integrating project themes into curriculum
- Evidence of classroom teacher learning
- Connection of lessons to Museum visits
- Additional criteria to be determined
Each semester a thoroughly written report is due no later than 30 days after the last day of the semester. Payment of five-hundred dollars will be due upon completion of the report.