- This event has passed.
Calendar / Art, Commerce, and Design
Japanese Shop Signs from the past. Environmental Design Today.
Wednesday September 13, 2017 at 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join AIGA San Diego and SEGD San Diego for Art, Commerce and Design. In connection with Mingei’s exhibition, KANBAN–Traditional Shop Signs of Japan, this night features a crafty line-up of speakers that will explore contemporary themes of retail environments and graphic design in a series of quickfire presentations. Arrive early for refreshments and to see local craftspeople demonstrating their work in calligraphy, woodworking, and traditional sign making.
Your line-up of speakers for the evening:
– John Ball & Shawn Ritzenthaler, MiresBall: Iconic San Diego creative agency
– Eric DuVall, Ocean Beach Historical Society: Sidewalk stamp historian
– Brian Dyches, REX: Digital interactive experiences for retail environments
– David Michael & Ryan Carpenter, Tecture: Design and fabrication
– Jim Mumford, Good Earth Plants and GreenScapes:Plantscaping, living walls and green roofs
– Phoebe and Roxy, San Diego Letters: Custom lettering and wall murals
– Linda “Rain” Rainwater, Rainwater Arts: Window and merchandise display designer
– Chad Spaman, Coastal Signage + Wayfinding: Custom sign fabrication
With craft demos by:
– Matt Herbert, SDSU: Woodworking, Professor of Furniture
– Suzy Lee, Dear Darling Calligraphy & Co.: Calligraphy
– Roderick Treece, Custom Glass Signs: Gold leaf, hand-painted signs/mirrors
5:00p – Doors open, mingle, craft demos
6:45p – Introductions (AIGA, SEGD)
7:00p – Presentation Series
8:30p – Mingle
9:00p – End
AIGA/SEGD/Mingei Members: $10
Students: $5 (w/ valid ID)
Additional at the door: $10
No refunds. Walk-in registration ends 6:30 p.m.