STUDENT CRAFT is a biennial juried exhibition of craft work created by high school students across San Diego County, including both public and private schools, showcased at Mingei International Museum.
STUDENT CRAFT 2018
Form and Function
May 19 – August 19, 2018
Student Craft – Form and Function is a juried exhibition of craft work created by high school students across San Diego County during the 2017-2018 school year, including both public and private schools. This will be the third presentation of STUDENT CRAFT in a biennial series showcased at Mingei International Museum.
Titled Form and Function, the theme of this exhibition takes direct inspiration from the Museum’s mission and focuses on beautiful objects made with a functional purpose. Students working in clay, wood, metal and fiber have created vessels, jewelry and other objects of use. With this exhibition, the Museum celebrates the continuing tradition of craft in our community and the creative skills being developed at the schools in our region that support these programs.
- Each teacher will be allowed to submit 15 works total.
- Only one work per student will be selected for the exhibition; however, multiple works may be submitted for consideration.
- All works must have been completed during the 2017/18 school year by a current high school student.
- All work must be created using craft-based mediums; this includes but is not limited to clay, metal forms, jewelry, furniture design, glass, textiles, weaving, basketry, fashion design and craft-based mixed media.
- Works of all sizes will be considered, but due to gallery space limitations works under 20 inches are preferred.
- All work must be submitted:
- through the Museum’s exhibition submission website, accessible here leading up to the deadline
- by the classroom teacher or supervising educator
- with 2-3 clear photographs of each of piece submitted, giving a sense of what the piece looks like from different angles
- Submission window opens March 25, link will be available here
- Submissions are due by the end of the day on Monday, April 16
- Selections will be finalized by Friday, April 20
- Selected works must be delivered to the Museum by Friday, May 4
- The opening reception will be on Saturday, May 19
- The exhibition will be on view through Sunday, August 19
High School Seniors who have been selected to display their art as part of the exhibition will have the opportunity to apply for the R. Stephen and Nancy D. Howard Scholarship for students who will be enrolling full-time in an accredited community college or four-year university. The scholarship will be made to two students who have shown a commitment to staying involved in the arts throughout their lives (regardless of major).
- Applications will be accepted after exhibition selections are finalized on Friday, April 20, 2018
- Completed applications are due by Sunday, April 29, 2018
- Application link can be found here.
Contact Shannon Foley, Manager of Education, email@example.com, (619) 704-7495